Vacation Rentals by Owner Sites Are they ProfitableThere are literally hundreds of Vacation Rentals by Owner sites and it seems new ones are appearing every week. On the face of it, it may seem like making money from a "vacation rentals by owner" site is easy: all you have to do is get 1,000 owners to sign up, each paying $100 per year, and you can generate an annual income of $100k with almost no running costs, right?
Well, it's not that simple. For a start, getting vacation rentals owners to pay for a listing on your site is not that easy, and secondly, if you expect to keep them, you will need to generate enquiries and bookings, which only come as a result of spending money, time and effort marketing your "vacation rental by owner" site.
Some of you may be familiar with Michael Porter's famous framework for analysing the attractiveness of an industry: based upon Porter's model, you can predict how profitable a particular industry is likely to be in the long term. We have used this model to analyse the attractiveness of the business of running a "vacation rentals by owner" site.
Porter's model says that there are 5 factors which influence the level of competitive rivalry, and hence the relative profitability, of an industry. These are:
1. The threat of entry by new competitors.
2. The intensity of rivalry among existing competitors.
3. Pressure from substitute products.
4. The bargaining power of buyers.
5. The bargaining power of suppliers.
These factors can either have a positive or negative effect on the long term profitability of an industry. Let's take each of these in turn and see how they can be applied to the business of running a "Vacation Rentals by Owner" site.
1. The Threat of Entry by New Competitors: As already indicated, there are new competitors entering the "vacation rentals by owner" business on an almost weekly basis. The main reason for this is that the "barriers to entry" are so low: anyone with some IT skills can quickly build and publish a site, with the only cost being their time and some hosting charges. These low "barriers to entry" and the presence of so many new competitors are a negative for the profitability of the industry.
2. The Intensity of Rivalry among Existing Competitors: Free trials, free listings, reduced prices: all of these are indications of the increasing level of rivalry among the existing sites. Many of the new "vacation rental by owner" sites offer the first 6 or 12 months free of charge. Although some of the established "vacation rental by owner" sites have tried to hold the line on pricing and special offers, the indications are that they are finding it hard to hold their market share. Again, the level of rivalry is a negative for the industry profitability.
3. Pressure from Substitute Products: By "substitute "products, we will restrict ourselves to other ways that vacation rentals owners can choose to market their properties. Hence, this includes newspaper / magazine advertising (a medium in declining usage), using rentals agencies (still highly used, particularly in Europe) and marketing via the Owner's own website (which seems to be increasing, particularly with the advent of Google Ads). All the evidence suggests that more owners are using the internet for advertising their vacations rentals; even the rental agencies now heavily use "Vacation Rentals by Owner" sites for marketing their properties. Also, although there are exceptions, using the commercial "Vacation Rentals by Owner" sites is very much more effective than using a personal site. Hence, the pressure from substitutes is relatively low, the industry is growing and this is a positive for the industry profitability.
4. The Bargaining Power of Buyers: Largely because there are so many options, including free trials and special offers, buyers (owners) have a lot of power when deciding where to list their properties. Also, the cost of switching to a different "vacation rental by owner" site is relatively low. Most owner's review their advertising on an annual basis, based upon the results (enquiries, bookings) that they have received. "Vacation rental by Owner" sites that fail to produce results are not able to persuade owners to renew. Many new sites that start off by offering free trials fail to turn these into paying customers because they have not been able to attract renters in sufficient numbers to generate rental bookings. Hence, the bargaining power of buyers (owners) is a negative for the industry profitability.
Ключевые слова: остров, пляж, море, скачать, бесплатно, программы, окна, пластик, металл, ремонт, компьютер, мода, заказать, купить, телефон, фирма, строительство
Copyright 2007-2016. Surf Enterprises, Inc.. All rights reserved.